AMD (Age-Related Macular Degeneration) robs patients of their central vision and is the number one cause of vision loss in the US for people over 60. It is estimated that up to 11 million Americans have AMD and that number is expected to double in the next 20-30 years. We are committed to providing the very best state-of-the-art treatment for macular degeneration, helping you preserve your healthy sight.
In 2020, Kirman Eye became the first office in the world to have the AdaptDx Pro instrument. This breakthrough technology detects AMD years ahead of when it shows symptoms. This allows our doctors to implement vitamin therapy and other preventative measures before precious sight is lost.
Symptoms of Macular Degeneration
Macular Degeneration is a condition that affects the eyes over a period of time. There are two types: Dry Macular Degeneration, and Wet Macular Degeneration. Both share similar symptoms, though Dry Macular Degeneration usually develops gradually and is relatively painless, whereas Wet Macular Degeneration symptoms may appear suddenly and worsen rapidly.
- Visual distortions, such as straight lines seeming bent or wavy
- Reduced central vision in one or both eyes
- The need for brighter light when reading or doing close-up work
- Increased difficulty adapting to low light levels, such as when entering a dimly lit restaurant
- Increased blurriness of printed words
- Decreased intensity or brightness of colors
- Difficulty recognizing faces
- A well-defined blurry spot or blind spot in your field of vision
What can you do to lower your risk of developing AMD?
- Wear good, polarized sunglasses to minimize your UV exposure.
- Stop smoking.
- Eat a healthy diet full of colorful vegetables and fruit.
- Exercise regularly.
- Keep blood pressure and other medical conditions well maintained.
- Have a comprehensive eye exam each year.
Remember, anything that is good for your heart is good for your eyes!